Wednesday 26 March 2008

Ladies night...

Well I was a little late getting in the pool due to the finishing of the adult lesson session just prior. My shoulders felt a little tight but generally I felt really strong in the water and was really looking forward to the session. Looking for inspiration earlier I found a pyramid build up alternating between full stroke and arms only so I used this as a basis for the swim first working 100m to 500m then working 500m to 100m. I also did a lot more kick than normal which always takes me a long time and reduced my total from the anticipated 4.5kms to 4.2kms. Still it was a good swim which I ended with some sprints as I know speed is my main weakness. Did 4 x 50m off 60secs with the sprints ending up around40secs. Not bad for the end of a long workout without a dive and having to time myself!! I took it as a good sign that when the session came to an end I wanted to keep swimming for much longer - it is annoying there are not really any times where I can get a really long swim in.

This morning I woke up tired and with a bit of a cold which I don't think I have properly shaken off from last week. Had a massive debate with myself about whether to go swimming or not with comical in bed/out of bed moments. I spoke to Paul Hopfensperger yesterday who was extremely helpful and answered lots of my questions but I'd promised him I wasn't going to push too hard this far away from the swim. However, in the end the guilt got too much and I headed to the pool promising I could have a sleep tomorrow morning as I am going out to meet an old friend tonight. However, I was super-tired when I hit the pool and after about 1km my ear and throat really started to hurt. I decided to cut the swim short at 2.8kms and live to fight another day - this far from the swim it is about consistency, building up strength and speed and keeping healthy and not bored. The time to push myself will come I am sure!

Am currently sitting at my desk with very achy shoulders so I am sure the decision to stop the swim early was a good one. I have been contacted by a Sqn Ldr at RAF High Wycombe who has asked whether I would represent the South-East in the Inter-Regionals. We talked over some times and I am not sure my speed will be adequate to make the team but I've promised to do some splits either tomorrow or Friday morning and see what she thinks. At least it would mean a couple of days off work and, as the champs are at Cranwell, more time with the lovely Adam!

No comments: