Monday 7 April 2008

Lack of Motivation

I ended last week on a total of 7kms after nursing my shoulder and generally recoving from the minor cold. This week saw me lose motivation completely. I think, having got out of the momentum of morning swimming that I had created, I just couldn't force myself to get enthusiastic about swimming. I felt tired most mornings and enjoyed spending a bit of extra time in bed and having lesiurely breakfasts not forcing a bagel down whilst squashed into a smelly tube carriage. I swam on Tuesday morning but an overnight at Cranwell mid-week and my parents being over from France meant I was doing a lot more socially than normal. I think the later returns home contributed to not wanting to get up and a subsequent missing of any evening swims I might have used to catch-up the missed sessions. By Friday I decided that the 3kms I had done on Tuesday were pitiful and I had to force myself to do more so I dutifully headed for the pool on Friday morning only to find someone had put too many chemicals in and it would be unsafe to swim in until after 7.30am! I was fuming. Anyway, it was obviously not to be and I did console myself that I was spending all of Saturday playing Water-Polo so at least I was in the water. I have decided that maybe I was trying to do too much to soon and so I am going to try and get it a steady 3times a week coupled with some running and yoga to keep the variety. If I can managed two mornings and an evening that will see me hit at least 10kms a week which should be fine for the moment. I am also starting to pencil in some summer races which will really start to give me a feel for things. It is annoying that I won't be able to confirm whether I can do the relay or not for a good three months yet but c'est la vie! I must just continue to train as if I am. Fingers crossed this week goes a bit better in term of motivation - I just think life is making me think rather too much at the moment with regards career, house etc. and that is probably not leaving too much capacity for swimming.

4 comments:

M said...

hey cadders
whats up
get your butt in the pool or better still make a visit to dover
next year be here before you know it
blog on Rach
best wishes

Mark

Hoffy Swims said...

Rachel

Good to speak to you a few weeks back, and just a little word of advice to help. We all lose motivation and get the dreaded shoulder pains, but somehow we just have to dig deep and keep on pushing, and turning off the pain. Getting across the channel is 20 percent physical and 80 percent mental. You just have to almost live, sleep and dream the channel for the next year. I promise you, it is worth it when your hand touches the sandy seabed in France!

Kind regards.

Hoffy.

The Editor said...

My mate Fat Boy pointed out there was another Cadman on the list for IMZ. "Who's Racheal?" It's not often you meet another one, in fact I don't think I ever have. Anyway I think I've left it a bit late in life for the Arch to Arc myself! although Fat Boy did mutter something about it at one time. Anyway I'm actually crap at triathlon but did finish Nice last year 2 hours behind FB which was bugging. FB has moved onto "Relationship" now instead as a new endurance sport. I'm not exactly qualified to offer advice on swimming but have you seen that guy on You tube with that Total Immersion swimming technique? seems to reduce use of arms and would make sense for the Channel

Ian Cadman

Christine said...

Be strong dear... Recover from physical and mental loses. You will be able to swim with more energy and motivation... swimventure is always with you.